Implementing GitOps methodologies for managing your company’s cloud native infrastructure and applications is a proven step to increase the dependability of your systems. Take the next step, gain the knowledge and skills to manage the full lifecycle of your platform and become a Certified GitOps Practitioners with Weaveworks GitOps Certification program.
The certification program provides credentials for GitOps concepts, skills, and technologies that holders of the certification have mastered. Organizations are assured that those who hold the GitOps certification have expertise in the GitOps methodology, tools and technologies.
The What and Why of GitOps
GitOps has emerged as a highly effective operational approach to managing complex software infrastructure. However, there is still a lot of confusion over the detailed implementation of GitOps and its benefits to organizations. To enable all of the participants in the cloud native ecosystem interested in GitOps to have clarity around what GitOps means; Weaveworks has created five GitOps Principles that are at the core of GitOps practices.
The core GitOps Principles are as follows:
- Declarative Configuration: All resources managed through a GitOps process must be expressed declaratively.
- Version controlled, immutable storage: The declarative descriptions are stored in a repository that supports immutability, versioning and version history. For example, git.
- Automated delivery: Delivery of the declarative descriptions, from the repository to runtime environment, is fully automated.
- Software Agents: Reconcilers deploy and maintain the resources described in the declarative configuration.
- Closed loop: Actions are performed on divergence between the version controlled declarative configuration and the actual state of the target system.
Satisfying the above principles at varying degrees will yield different outcomes. The GitOps Certification program aims to teach Kubernetes Site Reliability Engineers and Application Developers the core GitOps Principles through a combination of online training and workshops. Upon successful completion of the workshops, the Engineers and Developers will have gained the GitOps expertise necessary to complete certification.
About the Program
This program aims to share the GitOps methodology with existing software practitioners, to ensure that the principles of GitOps are transmitted faithfully and that organizations can benefit from all of the benefits GitOps brings to software management practice. Technical staff that complete this program and earn a certification in GitOps will be able to take these best practices into their organization and help transform their teams to improve operations, reliability and speed of delivery.
The program is principle-led so that practitioners can adapt and apply the GitOps methodology to different circumstances and requirements. These principles are taught through hands-on training and practical examples. The final assessment reflects the practical nature of the training by testing learners in a realistic environment using realistic requirements. We emphasise a practice of continuous improvement over perfect design, and how to apply the principles of GitOps to existing systems.
The objectives of this program are to:
- Teach the GitOps principles
- Provide guidance for evaluating the maturity of software operations
- Enable practitioners to apply the GitOps principles in unfamiliar contexts
- Ensure practitioners share a common language when discussing modern software operations
- Develop practical skills with current and popular GitOps tools
- Provide a modular, ecosystem-based, view of software operations.
Who should participate
This training is aimed at Site Reliability Engineers, operators, software developers and architects that work on designing, developing, maintaining and operating software services. It focuses on Cloud Native technologies, and will be more relevant to people who have this focus as well, although the GitOps principles can be applied to any software service environment.